Sunday, November 22, 2015

Sunday Musings: Favourite Family Fall/Thanksgiving Activity

Hey!

Are you having a great weekend? It's time for Sunday Musings.

If you missed our Saturday Morning Musings, I'll repeat we're visiting family and memories in honour of our USA's Muser Family's Thanksgiving this week.

Today, it's more your favourite family fall/Thanksgiving activity...



My favorite family activity any time of year is being together with family.



My favorite Thanksgiving was when all my kids and grandkids came to our house  for a feast. Last time was 1992 I think.Four grown children and seven grandchildren. The children played in the "fort" their grandpa had built for them.


In my rather large family, my parents did their best to limit such luxuries as sweets and such, so one of the best things about Thanksgiving for me—pies. Mountains and mountains of pies. You see, my mom decided that it was the one time of the year we could indulge in our love of pies until we were so sick of it we’d be good for another 365 days. It worked. In the four day week of Thanksgiving, we managed to create and consume close to thirty-two pies on average. Remember, our family numbered sixteen, six of which were teenagers, three of which were boys. We had pie breakfast, lunch, dinner and any time in-between. And there were tons to choose from: chocolate mousse, lemon meringue, pumpkin, cherry, blueberry, apple, mincemeat (not my fav), banana cream, strawberry, even pineapple if so requested. Deal was, we had to help make them. So we did—pie crust to filling. Generally by bird time, we’re were in sugar comas. Have to wonder if it was part of my parents’ master plan—put us in comas so we couldn’t drive them crazy. Hmmm, maybe….



My favorite Thanksgiving activity now is spending time cooking with my wife. Whether we visit her family or mine on the actual holiday, most of what we eat we have to prepare ourselves, since we are vegan, and are the only vegans in our family. Just because we don't eat animal products, doesn't mean we don't have a great time preparing delicious meals and spending time together in the kitchen- since we both love to cook.



In the "old days", my family (parents, brother, aunt, myself) would gather for a family feast, one of the four big ones during the year, the others being Christmas, New Year, and Easter.  When I moved into my apartment, which was christened The Annex because it was a scant eight doors away from the Main Branch, the family home, I bought an artificial Christmas tree and took advantage of the long weekend to decorate it.  Now, being retired, I start the weekend before Thanksgiving so everything will be done when my brother comes to me for our dinner.

Dear reader, thank you again for joining us and we’d love to hear from you. Keep smiling and have a fun week. Never stop believing. See you next Sunday…nothing better than being cozy in bed with some Musings.


If you have a question or comment you’d like us to muse upon, do not hesitate to contact me Christine Steeves-Speakman  at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com


No comments: