Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sunday Musings: Thank You









Thank You.




My maternal grandfather: WWII...William Edward Goodall...you came home.

My daddy: Korea...James Frederick Steeves...Judge Advocate General office of Canadian Armed Forces...you came home.

My brother: Police officer...Bruce Steeves...you've kept your community safe.

Thank you, love you.



I would like to thank my father, Timothy Griffin, who served in WWII.  He went in the day after D-Day and was captured and made a prisoner of war.  I also want to thank his two first cousins and close friends Teddy and Morris Counihan, twin brothers who were killed within weeks of one another, one in Africa and the other in Italy.



 I want to thank my son, Colin Ahern, for his service in the army where he served as a lieutenant and later captain in Army Intelligence, serving two tours in Afghanistan, and my father, who served in the army during World War II. He signed on as a private, rose through the ranks, and ended the war with the rank of Captain. He always maintained that the army ran on it's sergeants.



My thanks goes to my father-in-law, Alfred Alexander. He was one of the thousands of citizens who were eating their Sunday breakfast when Pearl Harbor was attacked December 7, 1941. By the end of the day, he, like hundreds of Hawaiians, were ready to enlist, but they were not allowed to do so. Instead, he, like most male citizens of the Hawaiian Islands at that time, were conscripted by the military to repair ships at Pearl Harbor during WW2. These men lived in the bellies of the ships for weeks at a time, and often worked 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. Their service is not often recognized, but without them the Pacific Fleet would not have regained it's military power during the war.  Thank you to all the men who served their country with a welder instead of a gun.



Dear reader, thank you again for joining us and we’d love to hear from you. Keep smiling and have a fun week. Never stop believing. See you next Sunday…nothing better than being cozy in bed with some Musings.


If you have a question or comment you’d like us to muse upon, do not hesitate to contact me Christine Steeves-Speakman  at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com




2 comments:

jean hart stewart said...

I would like to thank my mother, who strove so gallantly to give me sister and me a good education after my father's sudden death left her penniless. I can never repay or forget her.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

God bless all the men and women that have sought to make America a safe country. Thanks to my uncle in WWI, my brother and cousins in WWII, friends in VietNam and Korea. A special thank you to my husband, a firefighter, first responder and the lives he saved. They're all heroes.