Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Interview with Chuck Bowie



Interview with Chuck Bowie,
author of Donovan: Thief for Hire series
and his new release
 
Who are some of your favorite authors?
My three favourite writers are Ernest Hemingway, Rex Stout and Bill Bryson.

What motivated you to become a writer and at what age?
I first shared my writing when in grade eight and, as with many writers, I can’t not write. It’s a compulsion!

What 3 words describe you as a person?
I’m kind, smart and gregarious.

What 3 words describe you as a writer?
As a writer, I’m smart, imaginative and open.

When not writing, how do you spend your time? Hobbies?
My hobbies include playing music, creating great meals, doing minor house renos, and travelling. The order of priority can change, but these four hobbies seem to be constants.

Do you remember the first story you ever read, and the impact it had on you?
The first story I remember reading was an American book called Homer Price. It was written so new readers could enjoy his humorous adventures, but adults could also see a sly humour embedded in the text.

Describe your desk.
My (messy) desk is 60 inches wide, with a printer sitting on an extension beside it. I use a laptop, but connect it to a big ol’ monitor on a small shelf toward the back of the desk. I’ve connected my computer to a wonderful sound system (woofer on the floor underneath the printer). My coffee cup sits under a reading lamp to the right of my keyboard.

Who is the main character in your newest release, Steal It All?
The protagonist in my suspense-thriller series is Sean Donovan. He’s a contract thief for hire.

What’s his story?
Donovan is a Canadian who came from a tough background. He ran away from home at age sixteen and is self-educated as a security expert. He’s seeking redemption, but that can take a while!

Where/when does the story take place?
While Donovan is from Canada, his work as a thief takes him all over the world. To date, his exploits have taken place in Canada, the US, England, France, and Romania.

How did the story come to you? Why?
I was in Romania on business, and wondered what sort of crimes could one successfully commit, if one was alone in an unknown country and didn’t have much in the way of a conscience. I began writing Three Wrongs the next day.

Who is your target audience?
My target audience is the reader who likes thrillers, who enjoys smart writing, who appreciates learning bits about food, wine, travel, music, and life. Readers who like to escape for a while.

What makes your book different from other similar ones?
My novel is different, in that Donovan is definitely NOT James Bond. He’s an ordinary guy who doesn’t think of everything. He’s not super strong or able to pull off unbelievable capers. So, he’s a relatable contract thief, if there can be such a thing!

What do your fans mean to you?
I believe writing is one-half of a contract. I have to write, but the agreement is completed when someone reads what I’ve written, enjoys the experience and wants to read more. That cannot happen without fans. I thank them every day.

Where do you get the inspirations for your book(s)?
I’m fortunate, in that inspiration lands in my lap, unannounced. The plots and characters deliver themselves, and from them, I do the research on the details that seem to fit their lives. It’s so fun!

Any advice for new writers just beginning this trek down the wonderful world of publishing?
Here is my advice for new writers: apply the seat of your bum to the seat of the chair! In other words, write! (And read when You aren’t writing.) Take your idea, and write about it. Eventually, characters will help you carry the plot, and you’re off. Never a day without a line.

Excerpt from Steal It All:


The man went to work. “What’s your first name?” He pulled out a set of handcuffs, clicking one manacle onto her left wrist.
“Brenda.”
“Okay, Brenda, sit on the toilet in the far cubicle.” He produced two feet of wire cable and moved closer to run the cable behind the toilet reservoir. He leaned in, straddled above her, in order to complete the wire attachment. Her knee came up, hard, making contact with his inner thigh.
“Ungh!” He sat down on her lap and one hand closed off her windpipe. Squeezing hard enough to send a message, he breathed out a terse statement. “That wasn’t in our script. Bravery will make your child an orphan, Brenda.”
He released his grip and covered her mouth with duct tape, and then stepped away. He used the tape to secure her feet at the ankles and then wrapped it around the toilet seat. “I’m sorry,” he said, double checking the tape on her mouth, and then he left.
Once outside the washroom, the man continued down the hall, turned right and walked all the way to the back corner of the floor. He approached the door marked Director, Trade, opened it and walked in.
The door, very solid, closed behind the intruder and the discreet click alerted the director to the presence of a guest. He swivelled around in time to receive a slug between the eyes. The man fired a second shot through the director’s heart, but he was already dead.


Steal It All is available at:








2 comments:

Charles Bowie said...

I hope readers will enjoy all of the books in the series Donovan: Thief 4 Hire.
By the way, Three Wrongs is available in print at Chapters and on Amazon.
- Chuck Bowie

J Q Rose said...

Congrats on the new release. Donovan sounds like an interesting guy, just like you, Chuck. Best wishes.