Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Interview with Jane Godman

Meet Jane Godman, 
author of Lovelady's Colours
YA Horror

 Who are some of your favorite authors?
I have very varied tastes: Stephen King (of course), Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer, Chelsea Cain, Ian Rankin, Agatha Christie… I will read anything 

What motivated you to become a writer and at what age?          
I’ve always written stories. I still have a copy of the first book I wrote. I was 14. It’s a medieval romance and I wrote it in felt tip pen!

What 3 words describe you as a person?
Kind, loyal and introvert

What 3 words describe you as a writer?          
Creative, innovative and determined

When not writing, how do you spend your time? Hobbies?
Reading, walking and traveling

Do you remember the first story you ever read, and the impact it had on you?
The first short story that really stuck with me was very dark. It was the Man from the South by Roald Dahl. The first book that sticks with me was These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer.

Describe your desk.           
I don’t write at a desk. I slob out in front of the TV with my laptop on my knee (wherever I am).

Who is the main character?         
Lovelady Jones

What is his/her story?          
Lovelady is a very different character. He is a sixteen year old boy, who is really a girl. But that’s just the start, because Lovelady doesn’t really know who he is.

Where/when does the story take place?           
The story takes place in a small town in Wales in 1975.

How did the story come to you? And if there’s an answer to Why?          
I wanted to write a story about a synesthate, someone who has one sense that triggers another. So synesthates will often see days of the week or numbers as colors. But the story grew from there, and Lovelady took over. He had his own tale to tell…

Who is your target audience?           
Lovelady is sixteen, but I think the story will appeal to anyone above that age as well. It’s a scary story. Don’t read it alone or with the lights out!

What makes your book different from other similar ones?           
I’ve never read a story like Lovelady’s Colours. It’s definitely quirky, but in a very dark way. Some horrible things happen to other people because of Lovelady Jones. I shouldn’t like Lovelady, but I do.

What do your fans mean to you?           
Everything! I love hearing what people think of my books. Please get in touch and let me
know.

Where do you get the inspirations for your book(s)?          
Often from the strangest places. Old buildings , paintings, song lyrics, old legends, the oddest things inspire me. 

Any advice for new writers just beginning this trek down the wonderful world of publishing?           
Write what you want to read and, in the words of the great Winston Churchill “Never, ever give up”.

Thank you, Jane, for your time and a snapshot into your behind the scenes writing life.

About Lovelady's Colours

Forty years ago, five teenagers died in horrific circumstances inside the old house known as Lovelady’s Gwal. Now, the only survivor, Jake Merrion, has returned to tell their story.  
Back in 1975, sixteen year old Lovelady Jones was a boy with no identity. A boy who knew he was really a girl. A boy whose life was dominated by colour. 

Lovelady can’t ignore the strange hold the house has over him, or the way it appears to respond to his emotions. Or the strange painting on the walls of Lovelady’s Gwal. Is it coincidence a new colour brightens with each friend’s brutal murder?

Is Lovelady prepared for the final reveal?


Lovelady's Colours is now available at:







2 comments:

Susan Royal said...

I love the title of your new book, Jane. And the story sounds intriguing. It looks like something I could sink my teeth into.

Patsy said...

Writing what we'd like to read sounds like good advice.