Sunday, November 13, 2016

Sunday Musings: Remembering

Welcome to your Sunday Musings


This is posting the Sunday following Remembrance Day/Veterans Day.

Today we remember:




My dad and maternal grandfather. James Frederick Steeves and William Edward Goodall.  Love and miss them.


MJ LABEFF, New Mainstream author

To all of the men and women who have served and are serving and to their families and friends- I thank you and honor you for your commitment, sacrifice, and courage. Many years ago a friend shared this poem titled, “A Wish for You”. The author is unknown. It is my wish for you. “May God grant you always, A sunbeam to warm you, A moonbeam to charm you, A sheltering angel so nothing can harm you, Laughter to cheer you, Faithful friends near you, And whenever you pray, Heaven to hear you.” Wishing you much love and happiness always today and every day.



In 2014 I was asked to write a script for a play about three World War One soldiers - one from my home town, one from our twin town in France and one from our twin town in Germany. It was fascinating to learn the history of the men - George Burnett, Louis Vallin and Albert Kiekert. The play was performed in my town in 2014 to commemorate the beginning of the First World War and then in Germany, in 2015. It was performed on 05 November 2016, in France and for the first time, we have found ancestors of each of the men who attended the performance. Both my grandfathers fought in the First World War so I will remember them this Remembrance Day - thankfully, they survived. Of the three men in my play 'The Sons of Three Countries Remembered', only Louis Vallin, the Frenchman survived the war. British soldier, George Burnett, died in October 1914, just a few months after the war began and German, Albert Kiekert died in 1918, a few months before the war ended. I will remember those men as well.




My father, Timothy Griffin, served in France during World War II.  He landed the day following D-Day, which he witnessed from shipboard, and fought through the hedgerows for nine days until his capture.  He spent the remainder of the War in a POW camp in Bavaria.

I also want to acknowledge his two first cousins, Teddy and Morris Counihan, twin brothers who were killed within weeks of one another, one in Africa and one in Italy.



My father, uncle and grandfather served in either Vietnam or World War Two. Another uncle served in peacetime in the early 70's. I went in the in late 80's but not for long and met some great people (and some not so great). Many of my high school classmates served as well.

So, a general raising of the glass to all those who served for whatever reason, in whatever capacity.


Dear reader, thank you again for joining us and we’d love to hear from you. Keep smiling and have a fun week. Never stop believing. See you next Sunday…nothing better than being cozy in bed with some Musings.


If you have a question or comment you’d like us to muse upon, do not hesitate to contact me Christine Steeves-Speakman  at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com




No comments: