Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Interview with Lesley Field

Today we are thrilled to be interviewing 
Historical Romance Author
Lesley Field.



Lesley Field grew up on Teesside. She enjoyed riding and reading and later spent most of her working life pursuing legal cases. When retirement came she kicked off the restraints of the law and discovered her real self.

Lesley writes contemporary fiction which is set in Canada, and historical fiction set in the Regency period in London. Her first historical novel, “Dangerous Entrapment,” was shortlisted for the Romantic Novelists Association’s Historical Novel of the Year 2016. She came into the Romantic Novelists Association under the New Writers Scheme and has now progressed to full membership and is also a member of ROMNA.



Who are some of your favorite authors?

In my teens, Barbara Cartland and Georgette Heyer and also any Mills and Boon authors.
Now, books by, Sarah MacLean, Karen Swan, Stephanie Laurens, Nicola Cornick, Debbie Macomber, Danielle Steele, Sarah Morgan, Susan Lewis, Susan Mallery, Louise Allen, Val Wood, Freda Lightfoot…I could go on.

What motivated you to become a writer and at what age?

A dull winter's day and remembering that I’d read a short story in a magazine and thought, I could do that.  So I sat at the laptop and started to type. The short story was completed but I felt it had more to offer, so I kept on typing and that story became the original draft of the first book in my Saunders series, due to be released next year. As for my age, well I’d been retired for 5 years and was wondering what to do with the rest of my life.  I was 65 years of age and suddenly I found my new vocation in life and I love every moment of it. I have so many plot lines in my head I hope I have time to get them all out.

What 3 words describe you as a person?

Organized but at times disorganized.
Loyal
I have a wicked sense of humour.

What 3 words describe you as a writer?

Romantic, focused and emotional

When not writing, how do you spend your time? Hobbies?

Reading, walking, eating out, gardening (when I can find the time) and relaxing in front of the TV with a good program. Not forgetting my favourite cup of latte.

Do you remember the first story you ever read, and the impact it had on you?

Sadly I can’t remember the first story. But I read all of the classics, as well as The Famous Five, The Secret Seven and I think my favourite book from my childhood is “Children of the New Forest,” by Frederick Marryat.

Describe your desk.

My desk is easy to describe, it’s our dining table. I have a lovely view out to the garden and can watch the birds if I need a moment to think.

Who is the main character in Dangerous Deception?

The main character in my book is Lady Caroline (Callie) Sutton

What is her story?

Her story is one of love, duty and revenge.

Where/when does the story take place?

The story first begins in Hampshire, England in 1801 when Callie is only 14 years old. It then moves on over the next 3/4 years.

How did the story come to you?

I read a book where a “Lady” of society had a child out of wedlock. It started me thinking and from that came “Dangerous Deception.”

Who is your target audience?

Anyone who loves historical novels and a good romance, with some sex thrown in.

What makes your book different from other similar ones?

I try, and hope I succeed, in keeping the language as it was at the time. I have read so many historical novels that have used words not in the English language at that time, it’s quite off-putting. I don’t abbreviate, it was not done in that era within society. I try not to over describe which allows the reader to picture the scene or the person as they wish.  I prefer to keep the love story the main core of the novel but I do add heat which I find most readers expect.

What do your fans mean to you?

People who read my books are very important to me.  I want their reviews, good or bad, so I know what it is they need from the next book.

Where do you get the inspirations for your book(s)?

From the very vivid imagination my Mum told me I had. Also from reading, a comment or a scene in a novel can trigger a spark in your brain that will lead to your next book.

Any advice for new writers just beginning this trek down the wonderful world of publishing?

Never give up and never stop reading.

You can find Lesley's books at all reputable online retailers.

No comments: