Thursday, January 5, 2017

Interview with multi-published author Kevin Hopson



Who are some of your favorite authors?

Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, David Baldacci, Blake Crouch, and Michael Crichton.

What motivated you to become a writer and at what age?

I’ve had an interest in writing ever since I was a child. Taking English classes in college and reading Michael Crichton during those years really motivated me to write. It wasn’t until a few years ago, though, that I committed to making a career out of it.

What 3 words describe you as a person?

Giving, impatient, nature-loving

What 3 words describe you as a writer?

Impatient, passionate, simple

When not writing, how do you spend your time? Hobbies?

Reading, meditation, music, movies, and playing with my son. Photography has become one of my main hobbies.

Do you remember the first story you ever read, and the impact it had on you?

Yes. I can’t remember the title, but it was an Isaac Asimov book that I read in my youth. Ever since then, I’ve wanted to write a science fiction novel. I guess you can say my sci-fi novella, Shifting Alliances, is a direct result of my experience.

Describe your desk.

It’s the definition of simple. It’s literally just a laptop on top of a TV tray/table.

Who is the main character of your recent release, CHILDREN OF THE SNOW?

Jacob Schmidt

What is his story?

He’s an Atlanta police detective who’s been through a lot both personally and professionally.

Where/when does the story take place?

Present day Atlanta.

How did the story come to you? 

I originally wrote this story for an anthology called “Snowpocalypse.” I later decided to submit it to my publisher, MuseItUp Publishing.

Who is your target audience?

Anyone who likes a good story. I feel like my greatest strength rests in my storytelling ability.

What makes your book different from other similar ones?

I always try to base my stories on something original and unique, and I believe this story qualifies.

What do your fans mean to you?

They make it all worthwhile. Though I write for myself first and foremost, it’s the encouragement I get from my readers that really keeps me going.

Where do you get the inspirations for your book(s)?

From my environment. There are so many things in life that stimulate me; it’s hard to pinpoint one thing. Sometimes inspiration comes from the strangest and most unexpected places.

Any advice for new writers just beginning this trek down the wonderful world of publishing?

DON’T GIVE UP! It’s very cliché but true. There was a time when I was close to giving up. However, an opportunity presented itself when I least expected, and now I’ve published over a dozen books/stories in a variety of markets. Also, try to write as often as you can. You hone your skills through practice. Staying active keeps you engaged and sharp.

Thank you, Kevin, for allowing us to see your inspirations behind the scenes.

For more information on Kevin's books, please visit here.

1 comment:

Susan Bernhardt said...

A wonderful interview, Kevin and Lea. I enjoyed learning more about Kevin and his writing.

Kevin, you should post some of your photography on FB. :) I'm really into photography. It would be interesting to see your eye and the things that interest you.

Thank you.