Thursday, February 2, 2017

Interview with Fantasy author Virginia McMorrow



Who are some of your favorite authors?

Melanie Rawn, Mary Gentle, Laurie King, JD Robb, Guy Gavriel Kay

What motivated you to become a writer and at what age?

I always had characters in my head and wanted to find out what adventures they might go on. Writing, in my teens, seemed to be the perfect answer.

What 3 words describe you as a person?

Good-humored, easy-going, kind.

What 3 words describe you as a writer?

Honest, persistent, lazy (until caught up in the story).

When not writing, how do you spend your time? Hobbies?

I love to walk…soothes the soul, clears the mind, and lets new ideas come in (and burns calories). I also enjoy jigsaw puzzles for the same reasons (except for the calories).

Do you remember the first story you ever read, and the impact it had on you?

Alas, no…but I do remember reading two novels that had the opposite effect on me. One made me sigh with envy because it was so beautifully written; the other angered me because of its unhappy ending, which touched me so deeply.

Describe your desk.

My dining room table holds my laptop and piles of paper.

Who is the main character?

Krag (Kathren Faralon)

What is her story?

Left to care for a younger sister when her mother died and father deserted them, Krag is torn between responsibility and her own dreams.

Where/when does the story take place?

It’s fantasy and, therefore, any kingdom you’d like it to be.

How did the story come to you?

This novel is the third in the series, and the plot naturally flowed from the first and second books. Krag’s relationship with her mentor and her ongoing sense of responsibility moved the story to the next stage.

Who is your target audience?

Readers who enjoy a good story about real characters with honest situations. (I suspect most of my readers are female.)

What makes your book different from other similar ones?

My voice and experience bring a different perspective. I enjoy writing about family and friendship situations, even in fantasy, so that the characters become real to me.

What do your fans mean to you?

Fans believe in you and give you the encouragement to go on writing. And for those readers who have enjoyed my books, thanks very much! The best thing readers can tell me is that somehow, some way, I’ve managed to touch them by making them laugh or cry or whatever emotion I might have evoked.

Where do you get the inspirations for your book(s)?

Anywhere and everywhere … overheard conversations, family and friend situations…life.

Any advice for new writers just beginning this trek down the wonderful world of publishing?

There’s room for all of us. Don’t give up or get discouraged. Keep writing.
And don’t write to follow a trend. Write what’s in your heart. I read somewhere that writers keep writing the same story in different ways. Find your message, your theme, and share it.

For more information on all of Virginia's books, please visit her here.


Firewing's Hunt
Book 3 from the Young Adult Fantasy 
The Firewing Trilogy

Faced with overwhelming danger and a near-hopeless situation, a young mage finds courage and heart.

No comments: